CALL FOR SUBMISSIONS
Sock ‘n’ Buskin Theatre Company is currently planning its 2019/2020 season, and we are looking for enthusiastic and dedicated individuals to help us make this season the best that it can be! We are seeking proposals for shows that you’d like to see us produce. Sock ‘n’ Buskin strives to provide diverse, thought-provoking programming and this year is no different. We encourage you to submit proposals that reflect stories and themes that resonate with you, or simply pieces that you think are worthy of being performed. We want to give you the creative opportunity to see your artistic vision be brought to life on stage and offer you the outlet to be your show’s director! We are looking to balance our season with classics as well as plays or musicals of any style or genre. We always encourage student written work, and will strive to accommodate one act shows and shorter productions. Submit anything and everything! This is your chance to present to us what you kind of shows you think belong in the Sock ‘n’ Buskin line-up for 2019/2020.
The stories we tell and the directors that lead the way are a pivotal part of our community. We look for directors with passion, but also with strong leadership skills. This is an incredible opportunity to try out directing for the first time, so don’t fret if you’re new to being behind the scenes. That being said, previous leadership experience is a big asset in the application process and to making your dreams come to life on stage!
If you feel you are not able to direct your show but still want to see it performed, we still encourage you to propose it! All we ask is that you find someone who would be willing to take on the role of director for the show and provide their information to us in your proposal. Please also have the suggested director submit a short statement on why they would like to direct your show within the proposal.
Proposals from our previous season are available below. These can be used for inspiration to format your proposal, however we do encourage you to make the proposal your own!
Please include the following information:
- Writer’s name and contact information (if applicable)
- Director’s name and contact information
- Director’s statement of intent (in the case of the proposer not directing)
- Name of play and synopsis
- Director’s statement of the overall themes and messages of the piece
- Warning of sensitive content if applicable (i.e, strong language, stage combat, stage intimacy, etc.)
- Why do you think Sock ‘n’ Buskin should produce this show?
- Director’s statement of their production’s overall concept and aesthetic
- Tentative production plans (i.e. timelines for production aspects; costumes, props, etc.)
- List of production team/roles to be filled (i.e. stage manager, musical director, set designer, etc.)
- Copy of script or where it can be obtained (Sock ‘n’ Buskin will cover the script’s purchase rights and general performance rights)
Please submit your proposal in PDF format on this page when submissions open with the file name “YOUR NAME_ SHOW NAME_ SnB 2019/2020 Show Proposal”.
Please do not claim anyone else’s work as your own. All directing and production positions are volunteer positions. Sock ‘n’ Buskin is funded by the Carleton student body, so please ensure that any suggested production team members are Carleton students. If you wish, you may suggest production team members such as: Stage Managers, Set Designers, Costume Designers, Sound & Light Designers. However, it is not a necessity, and we cannot guarantee their inclusion in the production.
The deadline for submissions is MAY 31st, 2019 at 11:59 PM. Submissions received after this date will not be considered for our 2019/2020 season. Those submitting proposals will be notified of our decision by early July 2019.
Several successful proposals from past shows are included here as examples.