CALL FOR SHOW PROPOSALS FOR THE 2023-2024 SEASON
Sock ‘n’ Buskin Theatre Company is currently planning its 2022-2023 season, and we are looking for enthusiastic and dedicated individuals to help us make this season the best that it can be!
Sock ‘n’ Buskin strives to provide diverse, thought-provoking programming and this year is no different. We encourage you to submit proposals that reflect stories and themes that resonate with you, or simply pieces that you think are worthy of being performed. We want to give you the creative opportunity to see your artistic vision be brought to life on stage and offer you the outlet to be your show’s director! We are looking to balance our season with classics as well as plays or musicals of any style or genre. We always encourage student written work, and will strive to accommodate one act shows and shorter productions. Submit anything and everything! This is your chance to present to us what kind of shows you think belong in the Sock ‘n’ Buskin line-up for 2023/2024.
SnB is dedicated to creating an inclusive and welcoming environment, whose stage is open to any and all. We encourage submissions from diverse applicants of all backgrounds—regardless of race, religious belief, nationality, place of origin, gender identity, sexual orientation, and more—and welcome you to self-identify in your proposal if you so wish.
Please use the sample proposal examples below as a guideline for what your proposal should look like.
Please include the following information in your Submission Package:
- Director’s name and contact information
- Director’s statement of intent (i.e. why you want to propose a show/be a director) (100-150 words)
- Name of play and play synopsis (including playwrights name)
- Director’s statement of the overall themes and messages of the piece (300-400 words approx.)
- Director’s statement of their production’s overall concept and aesthetic (300-400 words approx.)
- Why do you think Sock ‘n’ Buskin should produce this show? (150-300 words approx.)
- Warning of sensitive content [if applicable] (i.e. strong language, stage combat, stage intimacy, etc.)
- Tentative production plans (i.e. timelines for production aspects; costumes, props, etc.)
- Tentative set design/ideas for set design (subject for approval)
- List of production team/roles to be filled (i.e. stage manager, musical director etc.)
- Copy of script or where it can be obtained (Sock ‘n’ Buskin will cover the script’s purchase rights and general performance rights)
Disclaimer: Please do not claim anyone else’s work as your own. All directing and production positions are volunteer positions. Sock ‘n’ Buskin is funded by the Carleton student body, so please ensure that any suggested production team members are Carleton students. If you wish, you may suggest production team members such as: Stage Managers, Set Designers, Costume Designers, Sound & Light Designers. However, it is not a necessity, and we cannot guarantee there inclusion in the production.
The Importance of Being Earnest
proposed by Josiah McLellan
Anne of Green Gables
proposed by Victoria Ricciardelli
proposed by Martina Peterson
Please use the Submission Button below to fill out the application form and submit your written proposal.